Minnesota DWIIncrease in arrests for driving while intoxicated in MN
After a steady downward trend, arrests for Impaired Driving by Minnesota law enforcement in 2019 were the highest since 2012. According to Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS) statistics, 27,975 drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, up 4 percent from the 26,825 DWI arrests made across the state in 2018.
Historically, DWI arrests in Minnesota reached a record-high in 2006, peaking at 41,999 and then declined for 10-years before rising again in 2017.
Some possible reasons for the recent increase in impaired driving arrests are an increase in DWI enforcement, improved training for officers and a recent change in Minnesota state law.
In 2015, the DPS began a program to fund 18 full-time DWI officers dedicated to target and arrest impaired drivers. Patrolling on nights and weekends, officers were deployed in the 10 Minnesota counties with the highest number of DWI arrests. In 2020 the number of DWI officers will increase to 24 statewide.
Additionally, more officers are receiving specialized training to detect drivers under the influence of drugs other than alcohol, including marijuana, opioids and methamphetamine.
Finally, in 2018, Minnesota’s DWI law was changed and expanded to prohibit driving, operating or being in physical control of a motor vehicle while under the influence ofany “intoxicating substance” – not just alcohol and controlled substances – making it easier for police to arrest motorists for impaired driving.
If you find yourself facing DWI or OWI charges in Minneapolis or anywhere in Minnesota and need to explore your options for getting your driving privileges restored, our seasoned lawyers can help. Attorneys are available 24-7 — Call us at 612-334-3342.
- Hire An Experienced DWI / DUI Attorney
- What to know about public defenders
- Protect Your Rights Against A DUI / DWI
- Mistakes people make after being arrested
- 53 DWI Laws & Case Tips
- Criminal/Administrative Penalties for DWI
- Minnesota Ignition Interlock Program
- Tips for Hiring a DWI/DUI Lawyer
- 14 Most Common Police Mistakes
- What Can You Do to Save Your License?
- What Happens After A DWI Arrest?
- Top 10 Mistakes Lawyers Make
- Minnesota's "Implied Consent" law
- Online Drink Wheel BrAC Calculator
- Elements of the Crime